Mechanic's Liens

Mechanic's Liens and Notice of Intents can be filed in the Court Clerk's Office which is located in the southwest corner of the 2nd floor of the Johnson County Courthouse.  The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Our phone number: (913) 715-3500  if you have any questions.

Mechanic's Liens for personal property are filed at the Records and Tax Administration office located in the Administration building.

We recommend that you read the statutes concerning Mechanic's Liens and Notice of Intents before filing with us.  Refer to K.S.A. 60-1101 et seq, You can obtain further information from the Kansas Legislative Information Systems and Services Web Page or in the courthouse Law Library.

The required forms may be purchased at most office supply stores or check under legal forms in the yellow pages.

To file a Mechanics Lien (Statement of Contractor's Lien or Sub-Contractor's Lien on real property), you'll need the legal description of the property, which you may get from the Records and Tax Adminstration Office located in the Administration building just south of the courthouse.

The Mechanics Lien form calls for an verified statement reasonably itemized to be attached.  After completing these documents, make your copy (or copies) before filing.

The fee for Notice of Intent or Mechanics Lien effective July 1, 2015 is $36.00 ($14.00 + $22.00 surcharge).