Johnson County Kansas Court Services
Juvenile Diversion

Juvenile Diversion

  • Diversion is a program designed for first-time offenders charged with relatively minor offenses.
  • Diversion is a privilege and not a right.
  • If the youth's diversion is revoked, the youth may be found to be a juvenile offender and have a formal juvenile record.
  • If all the requirements of the diversion are completed, the case will be dismissed
  • If the youth is found to be a juvenile offender, then the court can order various alternatives such as a fine, probation, house arrest, out-of-home placement, confinement in a juvenile correctional facility and other rehabilitative services, therapies and programs that are available to the court.

Diversion Acceptability Criterion:

  1. No prior juvenile adjudications or diversions in Kansas or any other jurisdiction;
  2. Only one current juvenile offender complaint pending against the juvenile;
  3. No prior adult criminal convictions in Kansas or any other jurisdiction (does not include traffic offenses or minor municipal offenses);
  4. No current charge(s) higher than a level 7 felony (exception: sex cases) or no current charge involving the manufacture, sale or delivery of drugs;
  5. No more than five counts charged in the current complaint; and
  6. Must accept responsibility for the underling offense.

If you have any questions, please consult our frequently asked questions or call (913) 715-7476.

Court Education Program (PowerPoint)


Phone: (913) 715-7400
Linea en Espanol (913) 715-7519
Fax: (913) 715-7420
Johnson County Court Services
588 E. Santa Fe. Suite 4000
Olathe, Kansas  66061
Contact Us
ADA Information